City Changer Cargo Bike in short
The world’s cities are facing a complex set of challenges related to urban mobility, which are predicted to worsen as the volume of traffic caused by commercial delivery services and private trips increases. Previous projects CycleLogistics and CycleLogistics ahead have demonstrated that cargo bikes have a huge potential to tackle these challenges as they can improve the image and general levels of cycling, replace over 50 % of urban transport-related trips, as well as enhance air quality, safety levels, and liveability of urban areas. At present however, this innovative solution is not fully deployed in any European cities.
Building on the success of these previous projects, City Changer Cargo Bike (CCCB) exploits the limitless potential of cargo bikes promoting their usage amongst public, private, and commercial users. Supported by the Horizon2020 programme, CCCB brings together 20 partners including cities, research institutions, NGOs, and industries from all over Europe in the quest to achieve a faster, more cost-effective and larger scale deployment of this sustainable mobility option. Assessing best practices across Europe, CCCB will raise awareness and support the uptake of cargo bikes and cargo bike initiatives. In doing so, the project will foster exciting developments that - among other things - offer more sustainable logistics operations, improve public spaces, engage citizens, and reduce traffic congestion.
To achieve the objectives, CCCB will deploy a variety of methods:
- Trainings and workshops for a broad variety of target groups including city authorities, the commercial sector, the private sector, and NGOs
- Educating and supporting a variety of ‘multiplicators’ such as mayors, users and so called “local heroes’ who can spread the message about cargo bikes and CCCB
- Using the cargo bike as medium through media bikes adapted to do TV and radio interviews as well as place maker bikes used as urban furniture in public spaces
- Innovative funding and financing: to address the high price of cargo bikes, which may act as a barrier towards its scale-up, CCCB offer low-priced try out and sharing schemes and develop entirely new and self-perpetuating, sustainable financing schemes for cargo bike businesses
- By directly addressing mayors, financial institutions, and the bicycle industry as well as utilizing several national and international networks available to the project partners, CCCB will involve major stakeholders.